You've finally found the dealership that can get you financed even though you have less than perfect credit. You can't wait to head over there, find a car that works for you and drive home in it. Only, you end up driving home in your old vehicle because you forgot one of the documents you needed to bring with you to the dealership.
You are required to bring more documentation to the dealership when taking out a bad credit auto loan. You can avoid having to make multiple trips to the dealership by having them ready to go the first time.
Documentation You Need to Bring with You to the Dealership
Here is a list of the documentation you will need to bring with you.
- Driver's License - As is the case with any auto loan, you will need to bring your driver's license. It also needs to be valid, which means it is not expired, suspended or revoked.
- Proof of Insurance - You have to provide the name and number of your insurance agent. However, remember to not add the car to your policy until after you have been approved.
- Proof of Income - Subprime lenders require that you verify your income with documents. Typically, they will need to see a computer-generated pay stub that lists your year-to-date earnings and is from the past 30 days. If you are self-employed, additional documents will probably be needed.
- Proof of Residence - What you'll need is a recent utility bill addressed to you. This allows the lender to verify that you live at the address you provided on the application.
- Proof of Phone - Subprime lenders also require applicants to have a working phone. It can be a cell phone, but it has to be from a national carrier and it cannot be a pre-paid one either. Just bring in a recent phone bill to meet this requirement.
- A List of Personal References - Finally, you will need to furnish a list of personal references. These can be anybody who knows you on a personal level, such as friends, family members, co-workers, employers, etc. Most lenders will ask for six personal references, and you need to include their names, addresses, and phone numbers on your list.
Having these ready when you first meet with the finance manager at the dealership will allow the process to go smoothly.
The Bottom Line
Here at Auto Credit Express, we've been helping people find auto financing for close to 20 years. Our experience has given us a unique first-hand look into how bad credit car loans work.
We not only want to take the hassle out of locating financing, we also want to make sure you have an easy experience at the dealership. By knowing what you need to bring with you, you may be able to go there and drive away on the same day. So, make sure you have all the documents you need.
If you are struggling to find a dealership that can work with your credit situation, it might be time to try Auto Credit Express. We can connect you with a local dealership that can work with unique credit situations. All you need to do to get started is fill out our free and easy online auto loan request.