Knowing how to take care of your vehicle is important for car owners, as even basic car knowledge goes a long way, and can save you a lot of money down the road. Unfortunately, nearly half of Americans who own a vehicle struggle with the basics of car care.
Car Care Facts
A recent survey conducted by Cooper Tires found that American car owners aren’t as confident in their ability to take care of their vehicle as they thought. Here are some statistics from their survey:
- 54 percent of car owners feel intimidated when they need to deal with a mechanic
- 4 in 10 Americans avoid taking their car in to get repaired due to financial reasons
- 19 percent of Americans are confident they pay a fair price for service done by a mechanic
- 41 percent of Americans couldn’t identify a car’s engine when given a picture of what’s under the hood
- 47 percent were extremely confident in being able to jump start their car
- 33 percent were extremely confident in being able to change the oil
- 39 percent were extremely confident they could change a flat tire
DIY Car Maintenance
How can you better understand basic car maintenance? Do some research, and try it out at home with someone who’s familiar with the tasks. Make sure you get to know your vehicle by performing the six-point car check. While doing this, you’ll recognize what’s not normal for your vehicle and what to fix.
There are a number of tasks you can perform without taking your car to a mechanic and spending the extra money. Things such as replacing air filters, checking the tire pressure, and changing or topping off the oil/fluids can be done in your garage for minimal cost. The trick to this is knowing what needs to be done, and where and how to do it.
The Bottom Line
It takes time to fully understand what goes on under the hood of your car. Don’t be afraid to ask a trusted mechanic questions – there are some things you can’t do on your own. But don’t hold off on on a repair. You can make a small problem even worse by not fixing it.
If your car is beyond repair and you need a new one, but don’t know where to go, let Auto Credit Express help. Let us help by matching you with a dealer that has the lending resources that know how to handle consumers with credit challenges. If you’re ready to start the car buying process, take the first step and fill out our auto loan request form today!